While you might not think about North Carolina as being super Christmas-y, given that we rarely have a white Christmas, there is actually PLENTY to do to celebrate the holiday season. If you’re planning to celebrate Christmas in Charlotte this year, here are some of our favorite, can’t miss Charlotte Christmas events – as well as things to do nearby!
Singing Christmas Tree
The Singing Christmas Tree has been a Charlotte tradition for decades. In fact, this year marks the 68th annual performance of the Carolina Voices Singing Christmas Tree. This year, they’ll be performing at the Halton Theater on the Main Campus of Central Piedmont Community College!
Tickets range from $13-$50. The show is seventy minutes of fun and is sure to get the whole family into the Christmas spirit! And back this year, the popular Singing Christmas Tree for Kids show is offered on Saturday morning and Sunday afternoon. Tickets are still available for all of the shows:
- Fri December 9, 2022 – 7:30PM
- Sat December 10, 2022 – 11AM (Kids), 3PM, 7:30PM
- Sun December 11, 2022 – 1:30PM (Kids), 4PM
Speedway Christmas at Charlotte Motor Speedway
If you’re looking for Christmas lights in Charlotte, then Speedway Christmas at Charlotte Motor Speedway is the perfect place! From November 18 – January 8, Charlotte Motor Speedway is transformed into an amazing drive-through light show with over four million twinkling lights, many of which are synchronized to music. On weekends (Thurs – Sun), check out the infield Christmas Village with vendor displays, fire pits, a movie theater, and visits with Santa!
Purchase tickets online and if you’re planning to visit on a Friday/Saturday night, consider upgrading to the Express Lane which allows you to bypass much of the line.
- Fri November 18, 2022 – Sun January 8, 2023 – 6-10PM
- Closed December 24
- Tickets range from $30-40 depending on the day of the week; Express Lane is $70
WinterFest at Carowinds
Gather the whole fam for a sleigh-full of fun as Carowinds transitions into a winter wonderland at WinterFest. The park is covered in millions of lights, there’s a 70-foot Christmas tree – one of the largest in the area, and the whole park is bursting with Christmas spirit. From holiday-themed shows to deliciously festive foods, there’s something for everyone at WinterFest. Check out this post from our first visit to Carowinds WinterFest!
- Select nights from Monday November 21, 2022 – Sun January 1, 2023
- Tickets start at $33 – purchase ahead of time, online for the most savings
- Military and passholder bring-a-friend deals are also available
- 2023 Carowinds Season Passes (on-sale now) include unlimited admission to WinterFest 2021
Christmas Town USA
The quaint town of McAdenville, on the outskirts of Charlotte, is known throughout the country as Christmas Town USA. Every year, the town transforms into a Christmas wonderland with homeowners covering their houses in lights. For nearly 70 years, visitors have flocked to McAdenville to drive the 1.3-mile route through the town to see the Christmas displays.
- Wed December 1, 2022 – Sun December 26, 2022
- 530-10PM EVERY night
Holidays at the Garden
Located at Daniel Stowe Botanical Garden, Holidays at the Garden is a beloved Christmas tradition. The garden is transformed with hundreds of thousands of twinkling lights and is a magical experience. Stroll through the light displays at your own pace and while you’re there, don’t forget to grab dinner from one of the food trucks!
- Wed – Sun evenings from Fri November 25, 2022 – Sat December 31, 2022 – 5-9PM (closed Christmas Eve/Day)
- Purchase tickets online – limited tickets may be sold onsite depending on availability
- Adults – $20; Senior 60+ – $18; Children 2-12 – $10; Members receive a 25% discount
Ice Skating at National Whitewater Center
Ice skating totally screams holiday activity and the rink at the Whitewater Center is the largest around. It covers over 24,000 sq feet and has four distinct skating areas, including two ice trails. The newest addition is the skating trail in the Upper Pond.
- Ice skating is available from mid-November – mid-February
- Tickets are $25; otherwise, ice skating is included in the All Access Day and Annual Passes
Christmas at the Library
Every year, the Billy Graham Library puts on an impressive holiday event. Christmas at the Library features a live nativity, story-time, carolers, horse-drawn carriage rides (additional charge), an optional Christmas dinner, and the Journey of Faith tour (that is also offered during daytime hours).
- Mon November 28, 2022 – Fri December 23, 2022
- Mon – Thur 5-9PM
- Fri – Sat 5-10PM
- Advance reservations are required and are going quickly
Kersey Valley Christmas
While it’s not technically IN Charlotte, Kersey Valley Christmas near High Point/Greensboro is TOTALLY worth the drive! We were invited to check out all of the Christmas fun they’re offering and I have a feeling this event will be an annual tradition for our family. One of my favorite aspects is that aside from photos with Santa/the Grinch, your admission ticket includes unlimited access to all of the activities!
And they have LOTS of activities to choose from!! The Kersey Valley Express Train Ride and John Deere pulled Christmas Wagon Ride both offer views of the million-plus Christmas lights on the property. But they take totally different routes so make sure to do both!!
The Kiddie Zipline and Cow Train were a hit with Ellie and the bigger kids loved the jumping pillows and the 200ft Dual Super Mega Ride*n*Slide. If you’re not visiting with littles and you skip the activities that are geared towards little ones, there’s still plenty of fun at the Kersey Valley Christmas experience!
- Select nights from Fri November 25, 2022 – Fri December 23, 2022
- Fri – Sat 530-10PM
- Sun 530-9PM
- Dec 19 – 23 530-9PM
- Tickets are $35.94 (including tax + service fee) for ages 4+
- Senior tickets (65+) are available for $24.67
- BOGO tickets are available for military with ID at the ticket booth
What’s your favorite Christmas in Charlotte tradition? We’re always excited to check out new places (or new to us!) so leave your suggestions in the comments!